Saturday, 5 November 2011











autumn; the creeping in of nights & the coming together in the dark. old pagan rites and the celebration & revelry of a half-remembered gunpowder plot. the leaves fall from the trees and their trunks glow vibrant red in the light of the dying sun. icicle fairy lights trickle shop windows, reds and greens begin to find their way into every shop corner, a tentative excitement begins to unfold. we come back to darkness & back to the dirt; to an archaic connection to the earth, folding back into itself for a winter hibernation, & with a bon iver soundtrack and a hefty collection of toffee apples i fold back into myself too. perhaps this could be called the autumn of my discontent, made glorious by the sun of us. it feels as if winters should be for clasped pairs of hands and for standing in another's arms to watch the fireworks; but not this time. not this time & not for a while again. maybe this winter will be my winter. maybe i will finally figure out what that means.

14 comments:

  1. You've captured some beautiful photos, love them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! These pictures are absolutely stunning, Holly!

    I've missed you! Your words are ever so beautiful, though I am sorry if they do indeed mean what I think they do. Seasons of discontent always have new wisdom trailing behind them. I hope you do figure it all out. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are incredibly beautiful, darling!

    Winter can be a very pretty season in its own special way, if only one looks trough the right ice pendants. And sooner or later it will be Spring and everything will be green and colorful one again.

    Oh how I've missed you darling! I'm glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh! Happy bonfire night! These photos are so dreamy. I want to live in them ehe O_O

    I too have been sneaking toffee apples all day long! I will miss them so when autumn is over :( xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. fireworks. so beautiful. that 6th photo is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Holly, these photographs and thoughts are so lovely. Winter is my favourite season, and though I love the leaves and frost, I long for snow and mittens. Though I've felt disconnected from the beauty of winter for several years, so I suppose I understand. I wait for it with such anticipation, but I become so lost in waiting that I forget to feel it when it comes.

    I hope you're well, dearest.
    With warmth,
    Kinnery xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are stunning!Thank you for your kind words on my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly! My heart did a little leap when I saw you'd posted; I've missed your loveliness. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The winds of your wits carry to my lap when I read your posts. It's as if you belong to the same world. Discovering, seeking, exploring. I am sending you love in the form of a comment, because you're special, and your writing is beyond the world we know.


    hugs (^.^) hope to hear from you *
    amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete